Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Quotes That Keep Us Grounded - CandidCuddles Linky Post


After quite the hiatus from the blog - for good reason, which I will be sharing very soon - I'm back!  And for my first post in a long time, I'm linking up with the #CandidCuddles linky!

My quote for this week is one that helps me stay grounded as a parent:

This picture was taken at Fall Creek Falls State Park in Tennessee where we are vacationing this week.

 "The way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice" by Peggy O'Mara


This quote has always spoken to me, even before I had my son.  It's one of those things that I read and it just made sense to me.  And it's a good reminder when things get frustrating - as they tend to do with small children (and older children too I imagine!).  A reminder that how we react to them and the that things we say, and maybe just as importantly how we say it, matter.  Children are a blank canvas when they come to us and we are forming the world for them with everything we do and everything to which they are exposed.

My family and I are on vacation right now and all of our routines are turned upside down.  We are also here with my brother and his family including his two young children who have their own routines and set of rules.  This can definitely cause more than our normal share of toddler meltdown moments and can be a little less than relaxing... to put it mildly!  But quotes like this remind me to take a breath and try to stay patient because moments like this matter.  Plus I want to enjoy my vacation and letting myself get too upset or worked up because of some extra whiny-ness because of a missed nap isn't going to help me (or anyone else) enjoy this time together.


Do you have a favorite quote that helps you stay grounded as a parent?


Check out the CandidCuddles quotes linky  and the rest of this week's quotes here:



Cuddle Fairy



CHECK KETCHUP OUT ON FACEBOOK: HTTPS://WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/KETCHUPHASTOBEAVEGGIE 

AND TWITTER: HTTPS://TWITTER.COM/KETCHUPISVEGGIE

5 comments:

  1. I like that quote too! Though, y'know, sometimes it's am awful lot of pressure to realize that my children's inner voices are going to curse like sailors :-P. Have a great time on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha yes - my kid(s) may also curse like sailors but as long as they are kind to themselves and others I'm okay with that! :-)

      Delete
  2. I like that quote too! Though, y'know, sometimes it's am awful lot of pressure to realize that my children's inner voices are going to curse like sailors :-P. Have a great time on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every once in awhile, I'll say something and immediately regret that it came out of my mouth. I think that taking the step to apologize to our kids for saying something out of anger or with the wrong tone is also a great way to help them develop their inner voices. Thanks so much for linking up with #candidcuddles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. Apologizing shows them that what you said wasn't the right thing and it also teaches them how to show humility and admit when they make a mistake. Glad to link up! #candidcuddles

      Delete